Prism Book Alliance would like to thank Erica Pike for taking the time to talk with us today.
Title: Black Hurricane
Author: Erica Pike
Publisher: MLR Press
Cover Artist: Scarlet Tie Designs
Twenty-three year old Jasper Jones fell in love with Dean McQueen at fourteen, but after a disastrous relationship, Jazz would like nothing better than to see the rock star choke on his own vomit.
After a catastrophic reunion, Dean seems bent on destroying Jazz’s life. It all started when an impromptu bar performance ended up on YouTube and Jazz became an internet sensation overnight. The name “Jazdean” keeps popping up in headlines and the paparazzi stalk his every move. To make matters worse, Jazz is about to end up on the streets for the second time in his life.
In a desperate attempt to keep his home, Jazz signs a deal with Dean’s band, Black Hurricane, to perform at a couple of concerts. It feels like one of Dean’s feeble attempts to get Jazz back, but painted into a corner like he is, Jazz has no choice.
10 Things You Don’t Know About Erica:
- I can’t wear socks while I write. I don’t know what it is, but maybe they restrict my creativity. Or maybe it’s because we heat our houses using geothermal energy, so heating is cheap.
- When I’m adjusting the volume of music, it has to be on en even number, so either 10 or 12, not 11.
- I’m currently waiting for my DVD copy of The Walking Dead #4 to arrive and the wait is killing me. I haven’t watched a single episode of it, since I refuse to download illegal copies now that I’m sitting on the other side of the table (not that I downloaded much before I got published).
- I grow vegetables, fruits, and herbs on my balcony during the summer. This year, I only managed to kill one strawberry plant and one tomato plant. I need to know how to grow my own food before the zombie apocalypse begins. Because, you know, everyone runs around with their vegetable garden in tow while escaping zombies…
- I love gaming. I used to be a guild and raid leader in World of Warcraft Online. After I got bored with the guild drama, I switched to a role play server and created a very spoiled female mage (human), whose father lived in Stormwind City’s royal court. I also played the bratty sister of a known role player who was a human thief, and I even learned to write in his very unique dialect (they were from a gypsy family). That bratty thief sister was called Eva Pike. This was before I was writing manuscripts, so the role play became my creative outlet. Ohhhh, the good old times…
- I have an extensive DVD collection of post apocalyptic movies and TV shows. I’m always looking to add.
- Coriander/cilantro is my arch enemy. I’m one of those people who lose their appetites if they so much as smell it. Apparently this is a genetic phenomena (I read an article about it) and it makes sense since there are so many people in my family who can’t eat the herb.
- I wanted to be a priest when I grew up! Now I’m not even religious.
- I’m a member of the World Taekwondo Federation – that’s WTF for short.
- Chuck Norris once kicked the Earth and it’s still spinning. Okay, that wasn’t about me, but I ran out of ideas. Oh! Here’s one: I like Chuck Norris facts. It goes back to my gaming days.
Thank you so much for having me over. It’s been a pleasure.
“Jazz, take pictures!” Eric pokes me hard in the side with his bony elbow.
I wince and raise the camera, clicking a shot.
“Go to the front, like they’re doing.” He points at the photographers running to the front and clicking madly on their cameras.
Heaving a sigh, I drag my ass off the chair to walk forward. I rake my hand through my hair before I glance back at the monstrosity on the platform. Never in a million years would I have thought I’d be in this position. Suddenly oil paint and new guitar strings don’t seem all that important. I just wanna get out, but Eric needs these pictures for the magazine and I’d rather die than let one of my friends down.
My heart thuds when I see Dean looking right back at me as I approach. His brow furrows as if he’s trying to place me. Typical. Of course he wouldn’t remember me. Why would he? My heart hammers a fast beat as my body breaks out in sweat. The inside of my throat thickens, stopping half of the oxygen from reaching my lungs. And still, I’m having the hardest time looking away.
Am I nervous under his green-eyed gaze? Or is it just the hate? It’s been years since I last saw him.
Not wanting to give the wrong impression of an adoring fan, I narrow my eyes and spew out all the venom I feel for this man into one, hateful glare, just before I raise the camera and snap my shots.
About the Author:
Erica lives in Iceland with her adorable little twin boys. She often says that her real name sounds like Klingon to foreigners. Seriously, if “Eyjafjallajökull” looks like a random strings of characters, it’s nothing in comparison to Erica’s name.
She’s been writing for several years, or ever since reading became an obsession. Aside from a business degree, Erica has taken English courses at the University of Iceland and gulped down anything that might help her in her career as an author. She takes great interest in English, but will break every single grammar rule for the sake of The Voice.
August 11: Because Two Men Are Better Than One
August 18: Full Moon Dreaming
September 8: Decadent Delights
September 29: Prism Book Alliance
October 13: Cate Ashwood
October 20: The Novel Approach
October 27: The Hat Party
November 10: My Fiction Nook
November 24: Amanda C. Stone
I have a number of paperbacks, most of which are signed, to giveaway. Over the between now (11 Mar 2017) and 31 Mar 2017, every comment on the blog (this post and all other new posts), will be entered to win 1 of these paperbacks. There are also some misc swag items, so there will be a few packs of these to give away as well.
Thank you so much for your support over the last 4 years. Prism will be closing its doors on 1 April 2017. All content will remain available, but no new content will appear after 31 Mar 2017. As such all request forms have been turned off. Again Thank you,
|This post may contain affiliate links.
|Prism Book Alliance® assumes no liability for the ownership of photos or content used in guest posts and interviews. The post author assumes all responsibility and liability for this content.|