Thank you all for joining us for the #TeamPrism Flash Fiction GRL countdown! Don’t forget to go back and read them all and comment to enter to win! I will pick a winner after I settle from GRL.
Today we have a very special guest with us. Andrew Q Gordon, has agreed to be an honorary member of #TeamPrism and took the challenge for the final day of the countdown!
If you will be in Chicago, see you soon! If you won’t be there, see you in pixels as the week goes by 🙂
As part of our #TeamPrism countdown to GRL I issued a challenge to the authors who have visited us throughout the year on the tour. Some couldn’t participate, but many took the challenge. I gave them each the same prompt and asked them to write a flash fic of 500 words, give or take a few hundred.
No Strings Attached by Andrew Q Gordon
Staring at him, I keep asking myself, why is he still here?
Not that I really want him to go, but he said he only does hook-ups. And with him still here, my head is all messed up. Sure, I told him all I wanted was a hook-up too, but look at him. He’s amazing. Kisses really well too.
Which confuses me more. Who kisses like that on a one-night stand? It’s been forever since I’ve felt that wanted by someone. Even when we really got into it and it started to get carnal, he still kissed me like a lover and not a trick.
Lover. Right. The last guy I gave my heart tore it out, stomped it, and kicked me on his way to the door. Who needs that?
I could wake him and offer him a chance to use the shower. He’d understand the hint. And yet I don’t.
He looks great on my bed, hugging my pillow like it’s me. It’s a struggle not to think about what it would be like to see him there all the time. But that’s a fairy tale that won’t come true. His Scruff® profile says, “NSA only.” I told him the same. Even if I didn’t really mean it, he did. Didn’t he?
Nothing about our night felt like a hook-up. He asked that we meet for dinner first—who does that for a night of just sex? We talked for a while—hell, I know more about him that some of the guys I went on dates with. He likes baseball and soccer, does CrossFit and likes to surf. The masters in physics was unexpected, but my engineering degree surprised him, so we were even. His list of indie movies lined up well with mine, though I wasn’t as up on his love of folk music. I can’t stop the smile when I remember how he teased me that I liked the same music as a teenage boy. I might have been insulted, but he promised to help me “grow up my taste.”
This is bad. Even I can see I like him. Shit! I can’t do this again. It hurt too much being dumped. It was supposed to be one and done. I wanted to get fucked and he wanted to fuck me. I’d done it before and left it at that. Sure I’d had a few fuck buddies in the past, but it was just that; meet, fuck, leave. No strings—ever. Why couldn’t I stick to the formula this time?
I lean back and bang my head against the tile. The sound is like a gong in the silence of the early morning and he stirs. Fuck! Now I’ve done it.
“Hey.” He sounds sleepy. “You okay?”
“Yeah.” The lie rolls easily off my tongue. “Just had to pee.”
“Come back to bed?” I can’t tell if he wants me to or just wants to know if he should get up. “It’s cold and I like the way you kept me warm.”
That answers one question even as it raises a few more. I don’t really want to go back. It just pulls me in deeper. But I can’t say no to him. Pathetic.
Quietly he rolls to his left and pulls the sheet up. He’s totally hard again. Should I lose the clothes or go as is? I decide to keep ’em on. If we go there again, he can take them off.
Before I can even settle in, he brings his arm over me and wraps me tight. “I have a confession and I hope you don’t get mad.”
Out of habit I freeze, but we were totally safe—I always am—so I release that fear. “Okay.”
He pulls me even tighter and kisses the back of my neck. “I don’t do hook-ups.”
About the Author
Andrew Q. Gordon wrote his first story back when yellow legal pads, ball point pens were common and a Smith Corona correctable typewriter was considered high tech. Adapting with technology, he now takes his MacBook somewhere quiet when he wants to write. He currently lives in the Washington, D.C. area with his partner of eighteen years, their young daughter and dog. In addition to dodging some very self-important D.C. ‘insiders’, Andrew uses his commute to catch up on his reading. When not working or writing, he enjoys soccer, high fantasy, baseball and seeing how much coffee he can drink in a day and not get the shakes.
#TeamPrism GRL Countdown:
- A Dark and Stormy Night by Chris Cox ~ #TeamPrism GRL Countdown Flash Fic
- Benders by Angel Martinez ~ #TeamPrism GRL Countdown Flash Fic
- The Counselor by Brandon Witt ~ #TeamPrism GRL Countdown Flash Fic
- Untitled by Ethan Stone ~ #TeamPrism GRL Countdown Flash Fic
- Honeymoon by Toni Griffin ~ #TeamPrism GRL Countdown Flash Fic
- Love Watch by Sara York ~ #TeamPrism GRL Countdown Flash Fic
- Noise by JP Barnaby ~ #TeamPrism GRL Countdown Flash Fic
- Dancing in the Dark by Jamie Lynn Miller ~ #TeamPrism GRL Countdown Flash Fic
- Who Are You? By Jeff Adams ~ #TeamPrism GRL Countdown Flash Fic
#TeamPrism Author Tour Stops:
- Angel Martinez talks 10 Favorite GRL Memories and Gravitational Attraction ~ Guest Blog, Giveaway
- Brandon Witt talks GRL Edition of the Witty Hour ~ Guest Blog, Giveaway
- Carol Lynn stops by to talk The Hows and Whys of GRL ~ GRL Featured Author Blog Tour and Giveaway
- Chris Cox talks GRL! Counting down the days! ~ Guest Blog, Giveaway
- Diana Copland talks The Growing Season ~ Excerpt, Giveaway
- Ethan Stone talks GRL Memories ~ Guest Blog, Giveaway
- Freddy MacKay talks Feel Me and Things I am Looking Forward to at GRL ~ Blog Tour, Guest Blog, Exclusive Giveaway
- GRL 2014 Blog Tour Toni Griffin Talks GRL Virginity and More ~ Guest Post with Giveaway!
- GRL Blog Tour Guest Post by Eden Winters with Giveaway
- Jamie Lynn Miller talks GRL and We all get our start somewhere ~ Guest Blog, Giveaway
- Jeff Adams talks Hat Trick 2: Playing the Rebound and GRL ~ Guest Blog, Excerpt, Giveaway
- JP Barnaby VIDEO interview about Stuff, Things, and GRL with Giveaway!
- Kindle Alexander ~ GRL Featured Blog Tour with Giveaway!
- Lori Toland talks GRL ~ Exclusive Giveaway, Guest Blog
- Rowan Speedwell on Passion GRL 2014 Blog Tour with Giveaway!
- Sara York talks GRL and Colorado Flames With A Texas Twist ~ Spotlight, Giveaway
- Shira Anthony talks and GRL and Singing ~ Guest Blog, Giveaway
- Zathyn Priest talks GRL Featured Blog Tour ~ Guest Blog
As part of the countdown to GRL, one lucky commenter on the #TeamPrism Flash Fiction posts will win a $25 All Romance eBooks Gift card!
Contest ends 25 Oct 2014 at 11:59pm CDT. Must be 18 or old, void where prohibited.
I have a number of paperbacks, most of which are signed, to giveaway. Over the between now (11 Mar 2017) and 31 Mar 2017, every comment on the blog (this post and all other new posts), will be entered to win 1 of these paperbacks. There are also some misc swag items, so there will be a few packs of these to give away as well.
Thank you so much for your support over the last 4 years. Prism will be closing its doors on 1 April 2017. All content will remain available, but no new content will appear after 31 Mar 2017. As such all request forms have been turned off. Again Thank you,
|This post may contain affiliate links.
|Prism Book Alliance® assumes no liability for the ownership of photos or content used in guest posts and interviews. The post author assumes all responsibility and liability for this content.|