Prism Book Alliance® would like to thank Ally Blue for stopping by today.
Title: The Secret of Hunter’s Bog
Author: Ally Blue
Cover Artist: Kanaxa
Genre: Contemporary, M/M Romance, Mystery
For Koichi McNab, the shop he and his twin sister Kimmy are opening in Hunter’s Bog Mall is a fresh start after their old one burned down. A way to move on. Especially when he meets the hunky owner of the luxury camping goods store next door. Koichi’s never been an outdoorsy guy, but Will Hood just might change his mind.
Will came to Southern Alabama to establish his own life away from his big, intrusive family—and in hopes of finding Anthony, the lover who vanished two years ago. But meeting Koichi throws everything off-kilter. Anthony was a long time ago. Koichi’s right here, smart and funny and cute, and Will wants him.
As Koichi and Will become friends, then lovers, Will’s past and Koichi’s present tangle into a dangerous knot that brings them face-to-face with secrets, theft, treachery . . . maybe even murder. With their lives on the line, their only way to safety is together.
Hi y’all! I’m Ally Blue. Welcome to my blog tour for my newest book, The Secret of Hunter’s Bog. Thank you for stopping by. Be sure to comment on this post, or any of the posts on the tour, for a chance to win a full set of my Mojo Mysteries series—Demon Dog, A Ghost Most Elusive, and Myth Adventures—in the winner’s choice of electronic format. Read on and enjoy!
One of my favorite things about writing a new book is doing the research. And I always have to research plenty, no matter how familiar I think I am with the area, or the subject matter. Things always come up that I don’t know a thing about, and I therefore need to educate myself, even if it’s only for a single throwaway line. Yeah, I’m a teeny bit anal like that, ha. So here are a few interesting things I learned during my research for The Secret of Hunter’s Bog:
- A. (Lower Alabama) boasts a Styx River. And it’s not a water park or manmade construct. It’s an actual, real river. A very pretty one, too. I was born and raised in that area and never knew this!
- There are at least a zillion kinds of boats out there.
- Some boats actually do have a shallow enough draft to navigate through a swamp.
- I didn’t know as much as I thought about boats prior to this book. Other than what “draft” meant. It was humbling.
- Getting into the FBI takes a lot less time that I’d thought it did.
- College websites never, ever tell you the whole story. Like whether or not rich people would actually go there. It pays off in realism to learn more from people in the know. And at this point I must thank my editor, Del, who I’m convinced knows everything.
- Glamping—glamour camping, that is—apparently has practically zero consistency as far as pricing. I found so much variance by location, company, etc, that I ended up just making up prices for my hero, Will Hood, to charge. He provides luxury camping expeditions, that’s his thing.
- There’s also no consistency as far as what’s included/provided in glamping expeditions. Some outfits give you only the basics, some provide a complete luxury experience to rival any four-star hotel. This was fascinating to me.
- No amount of luxury can change my mind about a tent being a tent and camping being camping. I will never be a fan. If I’m paying hundreds of dollars, I want solid walls, indoor plumbing, and real restaurants. Indoors. Yes, I’m aware that I’m a princess.
There you have a sample of what I learned this time around. Research is a mixed blessing. I always seem to jump down the rabbit hole and get lost there for hours at a time, which means I’m not spending those hours writing. But man, it’s so much fun! And I feel like thorough research lends a book a realistic feel, even when details don’t end up in the text itself. That’s important to me. So I think I’ll keeping on chasing that research rabbit.
Thank you to my awesome hosts for letting me play on the blog today! And thank you to the readers for letting me share my journey with you.
Leave a comment for a chance to win a full set of Ally’s Mojo Mysteries series—Demon Dog, A Ghost Most Elusive, and Myth Adventures—in the winner’s choice of electronic format. Entries close at midnight, Eastern time, on March 12, 2016. Contest is NOT restricted to U.S. Entries. Thanks for following the tour, and don’t forget to leave your contact info!
About the Author
Ally Blue is acknowledged by the world at large (or at least by her heroes, who tend to suffer a lot) as the Popess of Gay Angst.
She has a great big suggestively-shaped hat and rides in a bullet-proof Plexiglas bubble in Christmas parades. Her harem of manwhores does double duty as bodyguards and inspirational entertainment. Her favorite band is Radiohead, her favorite color is lime green and her favorite way to waste a perfectly good Saturday is to watch all three extended version LOTR movies in a row.
Her ultimate dream is to one day ditch the evil day job and support the family on manlove alone. She is not a hippie or a brain surgeon, no matter what her kids’ friends say.
Connect with Ally:
Facebook fan page: facebook.com/pages/Ally-Blue/98548113963
Facebook profile page: facebook.com/AllyBlue.author
Group blog: fictionwithfriction.com
One random commenter with thoughtful, relevant comments will win a $25 gift certificate each month in 2016.
|This post may contain affiliate links.
|Prism Book Alliance® assumes no liability for the ownership of photos or content used in guest posts and interviews. The post author assumes all responsibility and liability for this content.|